How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Bayview, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Yiddish Club: A large percentage of our resident population is Jewish so we have a Yiddish Club and provide a number of Jewish services such as Shabeat services. We do not have a Kosher kitchen.
- Music and Memory: Through our Music and Memory program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- Book Club: We have a Book Club that meets monthly and we maintain an impressive library of reading material.
- Current Events Program: There is also a weekly Current Events program during which residents discuss events of the day and headlines in the local newspapers.
- Brain Training:We have weekly “brain training” that focuses on games that provide brain stimulation such as puzzles and trivia.
- Bowling Club: Our Bowling Club convenes twice a month and sets up balls and pins in the dining room.
- Pub Nights: We host regular BYOB pub nights for residents to relax and socialize over their favourite beverages.
- Matinee Movies: There are matinee movies every weekend complete with popcorn and refreshments.
- Knitting Class: We have a knitting class that meets regularly.
- Exercise Classes: Our physiotherapy team runs regular exercise classes to keep residents flexible and fit.
- ”Sing From the Heart” Sing-along: Our ”Sing From the Heart” sing-along is very popular with residents and meets twice a month.
- Dining Music: During meals music from the 40’s and 50’s plays in the dining room creating a very enjoyable atmosphere for residents.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist